Friday, December 31, 2004

Houston, we have a party

On the third day of Kwanzaa the kids and I went with my wife to the 50th wedding anniversary celebration of her Uncle Gary and his wife Marilyn. To be honest, I was dreading it just a little because I was worried that my two boys would be bored and fidgety. But they did fine and it was a good time.

Among the guests who entertained the boys were a father and son team of amateur magicians (a first cousin once removed in-law and a second cousin, from the boys perspective), a 6 week old baby (first cousin), and some guy named Bean.

No, not Mr. Bean, the character created and played by Rowan Atkinson. The astronaut, Captain Alan Bean, USN, Ret.. You remember, don't you? He was on Apollo 12 and was the 4th person to set foot on the moon. Maybe you've never heard of him because he wasn't the 1st guy on the moon and because nothing went almost tragically wrong.

Anyway, Capt. Bean was extremely gracious and generous with his time, giving each of my boys a copy of his business card, autographing a memento from the party, and even posing for a picture. Everyone wanted to meet him — I hope he got to eat his dinner and that fabulous dessert.

By the way, Capt. Bean is now an artist (has been for quite some time). You might like to check out his art, and maybe buy some, at Novaspace.

No comments: