Friday, August 05, 2005

Ping! Pop! Sprong! Tinkle, Tinkle, Woosh, BANG!

That's what it sounds like when the screws which connect your garage door to the opener strip out, as happened to me on Wednesday while I was putting the door down. Yes down.

I have a 2-year-old insulated 16' door (2-car garage). I think it's strange that the screws striped out, but when you look at the door the screws go into very thin sheet metal. Doesn't sound like a very secure attachment to me. And, of course, the installer doesn't want to admit that they did a shoddy job.

You see, it's my fault. I must've tried to use the door while it was locked. Nope. Or I failed to maintain it properly, such as lubricating it and periodically checking the balance. Actually, I do periodically lubricate my door because my wife likes it to be quiet.

By show of hands, how many of you have ever checked the balance of your garage doors? Do you even know how?

And, of course, other "overhead door" companies (they never call them garage doors) are all in cahoots with each other. They are determined to find something wrong with your door to make you spend a bunch of money. And, of course, the wife buys into it hook, line, and sinker, meaning that I cannot call bullshit and ask them to just fix the damn connection.

So I now have a set of shiny new rollers, a balanced door, and a $336 credit card bill.

1 comment:

Gene said...

Deep Thought: are they called [Overhead Doors] in Australia, too? Or are they [Underfoot Doors] down under?

It's been many moons since my garage door went belly up (queue sound of knocking wood) but I recall it at The Prior House, when the spring made a BANG! sound as it broke in two. Am hoping your door's condition isn't contagious. I don't perform a lot of Preventive Maintenance on mine, other than raising or lowering it a couple times a day. I reckon I could go to the Grease Store and buy a couple handfuls of Grease, and slap it on the rollers, so'in it'd roll gooder, but ...