Monday, March 28, 2005

New Fangled Stuff

A recent copying error (of an email address) got me to wondering about the difficulty of teaching an old dog new tricks. It was only in the last year that I finally got rid of my keypunch machine, so I'm not what you would necessarily call the most forward thinking technologist. :-)

I also fondly remember how my colleagues and I used to deride editors such as vi and emacs as "Fool Screen Editors". We believed that if you made it easy for fools to use computers they would do foolish things with them. Come to think of it, we were dead-on in that prediction (though few people today would call those editors "easy").

And don't even get me started on WYSIWYG word processors! If you couldn't hack TeX or troff you had no business writing anything in the first place!

Gotta go feed my mouse.

2 comments:

William Bob said...

Sorry 'bout the nightmares.

If it's any consolation, I never really liked TeX or LaTeX. And vi is still my editor of choice, though I am frequently glad to be able to use ed. Ed has saved my keister on more than one occasion.

In fact, my personal web pages are all created with vi. Some of them are even processed with m4. I keep checking out HTML editors and keep getting disappointed by them.

Gene said...

at the last place I worked (!) I used the vi editor every day, many, many times a day. Now, I haven't used it since May 4, 2004. Do I miss it? Hard to say. I suspect I could pick it up in about 7 PintoSeconds (named after Frank Pinto, for the smallest measurable unit of time). Then again, I suspect I could also ride a bicycle again, even though I haven't done that in about 15 years. There are 2 of those devices in my garages, each in need of minor repair. Hmmm. Could I ride a bicycle while editing with vi? The mind boggles ...