Thursday, May 19, 2005

What's In A Name?

As you've doubtless read in my profile (tasty bits displayed to the right) Gene-Bob believes that everyone in Texas has the middle name, Bob. If your parents didn't have the good sense to make it official (i.e. on your birth certificate) then you are obligated to use it as a nickname. So says Gene-Bob. If you read his blog you'll see references to Trish-Bob (who has a blog), Jill-Bob (who used to have a blog), and the aforementioned Judy-Bob.

Monday last, at the local bowling center, I met Judy-Bob. Gene-Bob decided to mosey over in honor of the last week of competition for the Monday night bowling league and he brought Judy-Bob along. I may be wrong, but I don't think Judy-Bob is a blogger, and I don't think she quite gets the whole "Bob" thing. But if you're going to hang around Gene-Bob you have to be ready to shrug your shoulders and say, "whatever", when non-sequiturs pop up.

Shallow Thought #321-½: Are compound names, like Gene-Bob, supposed to be hyphenated?

Speaking of Bananas Foster, I wonder what's up these days with Amber, my "digital" advisor. She sure doesn't sound like a "Bob".

2 comments:

Gene said...

Compound names such as Gene Bob may be optionally hyphenated ("Gene-Bob") or even written in UpperCamelCase as desired ("GeneBob"), but Shallow Thoughts (such as #321-½) should never ever be hyphenated. So there.

FWIW, Judy-Bob's been in Dallas for pert near 25 years and does indeed "get" the -Bob nomenclature, having worked with Jerry Jones at one point in her career.

William Bob said...

Perhaps I misread an expression, but it looked to me like Judy-Bob kinda rolled her eyes when we discussed the -Bob thing. I interpretted that to mean that she thought it was goofy and I expressed that as not "getting" it. I suspect that 95% or more of Merkin's are familiar with the Southren practice of using both first and middle names (e.g. Billy Bob and Betty Jo), but that doesn't mean that they would "get" the voluntary adoption of the practice by non-natives, especially when they use "Bob" for the middle name regardless of gender or actual middle name.

But please pass on my apology to Judy-Bob if my statement of non-getting offended her in any way.