Sunday, March 26, 2006

Slip Slidin' Away

Got some new bowling shoes this weekend. I'm gonna try 'em out on Monday in league play.

My old shoes were getting really old. The leather uppers looked like the bottom of a dry lake bed and the leather sliding surface wasn't always sliding. Last Monday, in particular, was very tough. I couldn't get a decent slide through the whole first game and it was throwing me off balance and putting extra stress on my back. After the first game I bought some "Ultra Glide" at the pro shop and that helped a lot, but the damage was done. It took me most of the second game to recover, which is my excuse for another poor game.

Anyway, the old shoes were starting to make noise when I walked, they looked terrible, and the sliding surface was very worn. I don't know how old they are, but I think they're at least 8 years old. So I guess spending $25 on new ones isn't too extravagant.

1 comment:

William Bob said...

Went bowling with my new shoes. It was interesting. The sliding part slides well, but the heel is much stickier than my old shoes. Net effect, if I put any weight on my heel during the slide I come to an abrupt halt.

Or at least my left foot does. The rest of me keeps going (see Newton's Laws of Motion), causing a rather amusing dance or a nose dive into the lane.

Over the course of the first game (score: 135) I made my adjustments. I also had to adjust to the lanes being very dry, causing my ball to curve more than normal. Anyway, my second game was a 242 — my best ever.

It had to be the shoes!