Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Jesus and Java, Part II

Almost a year ago I wrote about Jesus and Java, admitting my confusion between coffee and a computer programming language and wondering how either related to Jesus.

But I just saw an article in USA Today about Starbucks' plan to put a religious quote on their coffee cups.

The quote, from the author of The Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren, is part of a larger campaign, called The Way I See It, that includes quotes from writers, scientists, musicians, athletes, politicians, and cultural critics. So no, Starbucks isn't coming out of the closet, so to speak, and joining companies like Chick-fil-A as openly religious.

But it will be interesting to watch the commentary from those who are offended by the quote and from those who defend it.

2 comments:

Gene said...

I've blogged about In-N-Out several times (the mostly California chain that prints Bible verse numbers on the underside of some drink cups, French fry containers, etc.) but not to complain about those "hidden messages" because they are truly out of sight (unless you notice them as you're pitching the container after you're done). They also only print the verse number, and not the verse itself, forcing anyone interested to locate a copy of the text for themselves.

I've never noticed quotations on any Starbucks container, although I'm only there probably once a month. Perhaps they're hidden by the protective heat shield?

-GeBo

William Bob said...

It was pointed out in private email that my original "Jesus and Java" post was in August of 2005, not "almost a year ago".

I do recall thinking, "my, how time flies", as I wrote that. Guess I should've looked at the date.

But in my defense, to find it I had to click the link for "November, 2004" in the Archives section, and then it was near the bottom of the list of previous posts. So I assumed it was in November 2004 or earlier. I think it's a bug in the blogger stuff -- that link should have been November 2005.

Please accept my most humble apology.