Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Taxes, Part Dos

Well, Gene Bob was right, of course. Only those with very low incomes are not required to file a tax return.

Seems sort of odd, if you ask me. You didn't? Then stop reading now. You see, if the government owes me money, which they do, and they know they do, which they do, then isn't it in their best interest to let me lend it to them interest free for as long as I am willing?

Anyway, what with springing forward for daylight saving time and other factors beyond my control my finance person hasn't completed my return. So today she filed form 4868: "Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. individual Income Tax Return".

TurboTax seems willing to generate this form, but doesn't make it obvious how to e-file it. Fortunately, there is a handy-dandy phone filing system (1-888-796-1074). Oddly, given that it is in their interest to keep my money as long as possible, the phone system completes the transaction by informing me that form 4868 will no longer be available next year.

1 comment:

Gene said...

In 2006, that form will be replaced by form LB-1432/A9/4/1040WTF. This was part of the IRS Simplification Act of 2004.

Am I making this up? Well, yeh.