Friday, February 18, 2005

R.I.P. Dick-Bob

Pro bowling pioneer Dick Weber died in his sleep on Feb. 13, 2005. He had just returned from the ABC (bowling) championships in Baton Rouge. He was 75.

Weber began making a living from bowling in 1955 when he toured with a Budweiser sponsored team. Three years later he helped found the PBA. Many will remember Dick as a fixture on Saturday-afternoon bowling broadcasts in the 60's and 70's.

While some think that Bob-ness comes from living in Texas, I believe that it is more a state of mind. And if making your living from bowling isn't synonymous with Bob-ness, well, then I just don't know what is. So here's to ya, Dick-Bob. The weather guessers around here are predicting more thunderstorms than usual this spring, they just didn't realize that it was because God has a new bowling partner.

1 comment:

Gene said...

okay .. I'll bite. where exactly did he found the PBA? was it in his backyard, behind a tree? or was it behind the Day-Ree Queen down on the Town Square?

I've never found the PBA, but I've not exactly gone a-lookin either.

-GeBo